Pouring (2016 - 2018)

After a lot of research; YouTube, reading and small experiments, I took a deep breath and started pouring paint. I’d always been frugal using my supplies but, conversely, always wished I could be more expressive. I started with some trial sets of the Pebeo Fantasy paints – it was fun, but very smelly, and not good for my asthma. Then I starting mixing pouring consistencies of acrylic paint in baby food glass jars. This really was exciting stuff for me. A friend saw my first attempt and wanted to see it done in certain colours – orange, grey and brown. She bought the results. A friend of hers saw those paintings and asked for the same in blue and white colours. I produced two, he bought both, but I handed them over with a “no more”. I didn’t want to stick with doing this, I needed to move on, I had so many more experiments to try and a need to find something that would totally engage me.

Pebeo Fantasy Prisme and Pebeo Moon Fantasy 1
Pebeo Fantasy Prisme and Pebeo Moon Fantasy 2
Pebeo Fantasy Prisme and Pebeo Moon Fantasy 3
Dead Blackbird 1 (fabric, yarn and acrylic paint, started in 2016)
Dead Blackbird 2 (swamped with acrylic medium)
Dead Blackbird 3 (over painted bird with new acrylic background pour six months later in 2017)
The Start of Acrylic Fluid Pour Painting
Commissioned by a friend 1
Commissioned by a friend 2
Commissioned by a friend of a friend 1
Commissioned by a friend of a friend 2
Trying different techniques 1 (puddle pour with thick paint and silicone drops)
Trying different techniques 1 (a dirty pour with thin paint and silicone drops)
Trying different techniques 1 (a dirty pour with thin paint, silicone drops and stretched)
Stripes, wide, swiped 1
Stripes, narrow, swiped, 2
Stripes, narrow, swiped diagonally
Very thick, left-over, paint thrown onto a pre-painted background
The 1st pour that I could see an image in - people walking through a tunnel (still to be realised)
The 2nd pour I could see an image in - hooded figure on a horse charging towards the skeleton queen (still to be realised)

Then I created this mess. It was a 3rd time failed pour on the same canvas. The dried paint was thick and it was only fit for the bin and I thought, why not, and had a go at turning it into an image. I could see an eye and a pink nostril which reminded me of a lion in the beginning… but then I started seeing other things…

This became my 1st embellished pour

To see the first embellished pour…